The purpose of today’s Professional Development session is to get familiar with a number of collaborative tools that you can use in your teaching and planning.
- Adrian Dingle—behind the scenes at adchempages
- Jason Vuckovic—Blogging on Marine Biology trip to Hawaii
- Katherine Hicks-Using excel to plot perodic trends
Google Docs and Google Apps
How to login to Westminster’s google apps for education site:
- Go to http://docs.google.com and click sign in.
login: your full email address (usually firstname.lastname@example.org)
Use the password written on the board in our classroom as your initial password. Feel free to change it.
Pro tip:How to enable multiple sign-ins to google apps (so you can easily switch between your limited Westminster google apps account and your personal google apps account)
Here are some interesting ideas for using google docs in the classroom:
- Make automatically graded quizzes in google docs using Flubaroo
- Annotating lab pictures
- Creating Particle Diagrams in Chemistry
- Digital Lab handouts
- Google docs mole challenge
More google docs resources
- Teacher Crib Sheets for google docs: Great pdf handouts that explain how to use google docs—could be useful for students as well.
- Collaborative Revision with Google Docs: pdf instructions on how to use the collaborative revision features of Google Docs.
- Google Docs Tips and Tricks for Educators
- Webinar on Advanced Uses of Forms in Google docs:: This webinar goes over how to create self-grading quizzes in Google Docs.
Where to go for support
If you forget your password and need to have it reset, you can usually reset it by clicking on the “Can’t access my account” link at the bottom of the login window. If you still have trouble, either Mary Reynolds or John Burk can reset your password (or the password of your students).
Mary and John are also available to help you 1-on-1 with Google Docs (or any other app you may desire instruction on).
Google Docs community: A youtube site filled with videos and tutorials explaining how to use Google Docs and take advantage of advanced features.